Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Ethiopian cuisine (semi-prequel)

Should've posted this a couple months ago, but there will be many periods of just sitting and waiting for the next couple years during which coming up with a topic to make for a truly compelling blog entry will be difficult. These periods of relative boredom will sometimes be interrupted by moderately long-term flurries of paperwork. The amount of this stuff is supposed to be truly staggering. I predict that once we're in the thick of it, in comparison we'll liken our mortgage process to feel like one of those 4-page 6th-grade typed essays I used to do in 14-pt. double-space font. Narrow margins. Boy, let me just add - where would I be today without Cliffnotes as part of my educational history? Without that and my staggering yet fluffy vocabulary, filling up those lonely 4 pages would've been a task.

Anyhow, I'm going to try to check out some Ethiopian cooking over the next couple months, which in addition to helping me get to know their cuisine, will also hopefully get me out of a little cooking rut in which I've been lately. It will also help me eat more, which is something I don't do enough of. Anyhow a few month ago, Trina and I went to a pretty good Ethiopian restaurant in Central Square called Asmara (http://www.asmararestaurantboston.com). Trina wasn't crazy about the honey wine, but I happily finished her glass. (I know I'm setting myself up here, but I'm always interested in becoming a better booze connoseur. But in a more refined and inquisitive way, perhaps, than when I was in college.) I think the most popular Ethiopian restaurant in Boston is Addis Red Sea in the South End (http://www.addisredsea.com). If anyone has any restaurant recommendations or recipes they want to toss my way, the door's open!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

We are also looking forward to trying some Ethiopian recipes. I plan to post them on my blog if/when we ever get to them!

Beatch said...

I remember being really wowed by the bread that is served with Ethiopian cuisine. Flattish yet spongy...perfect for sopping up those yummy sauces. Then the friend I was dining with likened the surface of the bread to human skin. Thanks buddy!

Anyways, let me know how your culinary adventures go and please share the good recipes. I'm always looking for something new to try. Thanks!