Monday, July 12, 2010

Fast forward

Boy! We've been quiet, eh?

Once we got on the waiting list, we turned our attention back on our the rest of our lives, which were admittedly very neglected! I rode the wave that is called the End of the School Year, and came out tired but satisfied with the progress my kids made. (The single non-reader in my room FINALLY, last week of school, discovered a series he loved and could not put down. THAT is success, my friends. This was the first year that every one of my kids got, at least one point in the year, addicted to at least one book. Woo-hoo!) Ryan's music has taken off and he is a gig-machine. He's been writing and performing his own stuff with a group called Field Trip, in addition to performing with his groups The Two-Timers and Innervisions. (Did I miss any, Ry?) I'm so flippin' proud of him. He's really cute when he plays too. As my brother Josh once noted upon seeing Ryan play in Salem, "Ryan's never gonna make it as a rock star. He's too happy!" Seriously, you should go hear him play sometime, if only to see him bounce around with that fun grin.

On the adoption front, the estimated wait time for getting our child/ren has increased from 12-18 months to 16-22 months. We need to take two trips now. And, partially as a result of the additional trip, our program fees increased rather substantially. Oy! Our quest for children is now three years in the making, and it admittedly gets very tiresome to get more roadblocks put in our way. Personally, I find that my heart is shutting down a bit and little on the family-building journey affects me now. I don't know if this is a self-protective thing or a good/bad thing ... I barely understand it myself. But I feel kind of numb to it all, which, odd as it sounds, is kind of a welcome change. That's probably not an inspiring thing to hear on a adoption blog, but this path always has unexpected surprises.

All that said, we're having a great summer and grow happier and more fulfilled with each passing month. We were reflecting the other day on our upcoming third anniversary and how hard we were hit after returning from our incredible wedding and honeymoon. The horrible losses and sicknesses of family members and friends, the immediate loss of our first child and the ensuing medical complications, procedures, and surgeries I had as a result of that first loss. All those vows we took were immediately tested and we both agreed that we came out pretty damned good. Not everyone could have survived that and had their relationship grow even stronger. The relative ease of this summer -- knock on wood -- has been an incredible boost. Drinking a cold gin and tonic while weeding the garden with my cat Kaci -- heaven! I'm officially patting ourselves on the back. (Me and Ryan, not me and Kaci...though she's done her part making us smile each day with her cute little vocalizations, so I guess I'll pat her back too. And of course Sergio's back, as he LOVES anyone patting his back.)

Here's to the simple pleasures of summer! May your heart skip a beat when you hear the ice cream truck come 'round...

~Katrina

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm glad to hear from you, and to hear that you're having a nice summer. I know what you mean about your heart numbing a bit, though. We are approaching five years into this journey, and it's just hard to get too excited about things when the wait is extended and oh yeah, it's going to cost even more money. It's tough. But we'll hang in there and make it someday!

InventingLiz said...

Katrina - I am so sorry to hear about the loss you experiences, I can't even imagine...

I think getting numb at this point is pretty normal...there's not a lot to get excited about once all the paper chasing is over, and it's easy to start thinking that it just might not ever happen at all. I don't think I really felt like it was for real until I actually met Elfe for the first time...