Thursday, July 22, 2010

Lifting up the paddle

Last weekend I scooted up to Maine to join Dad and Mary for a couple days of their camping trip at Scott's Cove. Their site overlooked a lovely small lake.

I arrived on Friday night and enjoyed a great dinner and campfire with them and our family friends Roy and Claire. The next morning, the sunrise awoke me and the lake was completely still and grinning (lakes grin) like we shared a secret. There wasn't a human sound in the campground. Only birdsong, including the calls of the loon echoing from the part of the lake that wasn't visible due to a stretch of land blocking it. I untied the canoe and went out along the fringes of the lake, exploring the pseudo-mucky shallow edges until I reached about halfway across the lake, eyes peeled for turtles. I never saw a turtle, but many dragonflies settled on the sides of the canoe to hitchhike and rest a bit. Can you get any cooler than a dragonfly? A barely perceptible breeze had begun to ripple the water and I decided to lift the paddle out of the water and see what the boat decided to do. Sure enough, it had its own slow but perfect agenda. It turned toward the center of the lake and and just drifted and I closed my eyes to that perfect-summer-morning sun, feeling like a stretching Buddha-cat. Complete smiling contentment. THAT is what vacation is all about.

~Katrina

No comments: