Sunday, December 13, 2009

Confession about Antlers

So....I did something this past week that surprised me. I bought Christmas items with our two future children in mind. It was a small but huge move, as I'm admittedly nervous that I'll jinx things with too much optimism. But I simply couldn't help myself.

At Russells Garden Center, I was hunting for some stockings for Ry and I, as suddenly realized we had no stockings. (It's our first Christmas we're spending at home and not traveling, so it was an easy oversight in past years.) I was perusing the fun little gizmos they had there, when I saw something so silly and precious, my heart skipped a beat: two pairs of headband antlers with little bells on them. (the last two on the shelves, by chance!) I immediately pictured our two kids (who are they??) wearing them and skipping about the tree in night-before-Christmas-hyper-activity. And I knew that these antlers must be ours. They now sit by our Seuss-like tree, hinting at the future. We wear them, of course, (hello! How can you not put on a pair of jingly antlers? impossible!) but it feels more like we're borrowing them and breaking them in for the two little heads that are somewhere in some way on their way to us.

jingle jingle ...

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Oh, that's really fun! I have started to have little urges like that here or there, but haven't taken much of a leap yet. I'm glad you two are having fun with the antlers until their rightful owners come along!