Friday, February 19, 2010

Homestudy Paperwork Done!!

YEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! I dropped of the last of the homestudy paperwork today off at the Waltham office!! This is such a big hurdle we've crossed. There are more to come, of course, but a hurdle's a hurdle! Any excuse to break out the champagne!

Our 1-600 paperwork should be leaving Wide Horizons soon and then we wait (10 days? 3 months?) for the call from the government to get our fingerprints taken.

So now we're attacking the dossier. As I mentioned earlier, it's really not that bad. Having had to deal with over 400 Argentinian student visas per year during my study abroad days, I can say that this is really nothing. Those things were insane, written by someone who desperately hated people. This stuff is a piece of cake. We'll hopefully have all the paperwork collected by late next week.

It's been an odd process trying to get people to hustle for you. Some people melt when they find out we're adopting, and do everything they can to help. They are good. You can hear the goodwill and kindness in their voices. Then there are the people who look at you with a blank "so?" look on their face when you say that this thing you need help with is for the two children you will be adopting from Ethiopia. These people are bad. :) Well, there's good in there somewhere, but the challenge is coaxing it out. One kind facebooker suggested baking cookies for the meanies, which I may resort to. I don't know a soul who could resist Gramma's Cowboy Cookies. I think even Satan would melt. (Why does the name Satan always make me giggle?)

So that's where we are as of today. I think I may try my hand at an Ethiopian dish today...more soon!

~Katrina

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Congratulations on completing the home study! Champagne-worthy for sure. And best of luck to you with the dossier. I hope it goes smoothly for you!

Amy said...

Yay! We may have just missed you at WH. We were there for our homestudy update, from 10am to noon. I wish we had known that we may be crossing paths. Our I600A took less than 2 months from sending out to receiving our I171H, but, I'd bet even shorter for you since we kind of got caught up in the new system (Texas Lockbox, whatever that means). Congrats on getting the biggest chunk done. You must feel so good. Our paperwork went back to MA USCIS today to update to reflect the request for siblings...

Hopefully when we bring our little ones home, we will have a better understanding as to why we had to go thru what we did to get where we will be in the end...

Amy